Monday, August 15, 2005

Setting Homeschooling goals pt. 2

In my last post I mentioned that my spiritual goals are the #1 reason I'm homeschooling. My desire is that they would know God as He is revealed in the Bible, and that they would love and fear Him. As far as actual goals, mine are that they will...
  • develop habits of consistent daily "quiet times"--starting their days by praying and reading their Bibles
  • know how to study the Bible
  • memorization of large and small portions of Scripture
  • know how to explain a Biblical concept to believers and unbelievers
  • obtain a Biblical worldview
  • know how to pray for their own needs and the needs of others
  • know how to repent and express gratitude to God
  • find strengths and weaknesses for the purpose of discovering their calling
  • understand the importance of reaching the lost with the Gospel of Jesus Christ
Related are my character goals for them--that they would be...
  • obedient (to God and their parents)
  • humble
  • honest
  • respectful
  • responsible
  • good stewards
  • creative
  • willing and able to serve others
Many of these came up in a conversation Dan and I had year ago where we made lists of our goals for our kids and narrowed them down to our top 5. I found it to be really helpful in determining what our core values are, where mine differ from his and how to make these the priority of our parenting. I believe that the fruit of the Spirit (love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, gentleness, faithfulness, goodness and self-control) will be evident as they mature in their relationships with Christ, as they are the by-product of the work of the Holy Spirit.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Rosy -- Thanks for sharing these. I don't homeschool (I taught 2nd and 3rd grade before my kids were born), but I think setting these goals for your kids and yourself are awesome! Amen to the daily quiet-time! Have you read Richard Foster's "The Disciplined Life" or something to that effect? Changed my life, truely! ;)