Friday, August 26, 2005

The cares of the world and the deceitfulness of riches

It takes so little for me to get caught up in temporal things. All I have to do is look a little to the right and look at our escrow statement, then I'm wondering "can't we drop our PMI yet?" "has our house appreciated as much as we think?" "why haven't they called us back about the refinance?". Or I can look to the left and think "that is one nasty dining room floor". The cares of this world want to take over my heart and mind. I could easily be consumed by everything that goes into managing my home. And the deceitfulness of riches--I can almost always find an answer to my problems that just requires a little money.

The Bible tells me "Set your mind on things above, not on earthly things. For you died, and your life is hidden with Christ in God." This is encouraging. It reminds me that my mind isn't naturally, normally set on things above. However, it is a challenge. I must actively set it on heavenly things. I can't allow the things of this world to control me or dictate how I spend my time. God isn't worried about how I'm going to pay my bills, how I'm going to get caught up on housework, where I'll find the time to homeschool, how I'm going to lose my extra weight. He even knows what it will take to get Elijah to potty train! And it's not important to Him that I have a picture perfect life with everything in it's place, financial independence, etc. So I guess I should chill out. After I get the floor mopped, of course.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Don't feel bad about having real-world worries. We all have them. Maybe you could refinance to get rid of PMI??? That would be awesome.