Thursday, August 11, 2005

Setting Homeschooling goals pt. 1

In an attempt to be purposeful with our homschooling, I've been considering short-term and long-term goals. I found this definition of an educated person in The First Year of Homeschooling Your Child by Linda Dobson:

*can obtain information he requires (through knowing how to read well and knowing where and how to find needed information)
*can communicate effectively with others both orally and in writing
*has a broad general knowledge base from which he can draw as needed
*possesses the math knowledge required for daily life, as well as an awareness, if not a working knowledge, of the intricate bonds between higher math and the workings of the universe
*has a love of learning that will facilitate education throughout the lifetime. (p. 52-53)

This fits with many conversations Dan and I have had about our desires for our kids. However, seeing them written down has given direction to my thinking. It's important to me that they learn history and science and all that, but I've come to believe that teaching them how to learn, how to read and love reading, and how to think critically is the foundation.

I believe that homeschooling affords me a unique opportunity to accomplish my goals for my kids. Not that these things can't happen in a school setting, just that my opportunity to make them happen is limited.

To be perfectly honest, my educational objectives for them are not at the top of my priority list. Far from it. My primary reason for keeping them at home is to teach them who God is, what His Word says, and how to live in a way that pleases Him. I have goals to that end as well, but we'll talk about that another day.

1 comment:

staceykingman said...

I totally agree. God first, other stuff, second. :)