Wednesday, November 01, 2006

The Christmas pre-season is upon us!

Full-blown holiday decoration sections at Target and the like, the beginnings of shopping lists and holiday plans, Christmas play rehearsals...isn't it crazy that we spend 2 months preparing for one day? I personally wouldn't have it any other way, though.

However, I have one strict rule to keep it from taking over our lives and getting us all burned out: no decorations and ABSOLUTELY no Christmas music until the Thanksgiving festivities are over. Period. Dan e-mailed me yesterday with a link to the Sufjan Stevens Christmas boxed set, and I gently reminded him that if he's learned anything after 7 years of being married to me, it should be that he would NOT be allowed to play that music in my home for 3 1/2 more weeks. I'm not a controlling wife, really....but there is a time and place for Christmas music, and in my house any time between Dec. 26th and the 4th Thursday in November is neither the time nor the place.

The Sunday paper this week had the Toys R Us and Fred Meyer toy books. I made the mistake of giving them to Elijah and he hasn't put them down since. He pores over them, chattering non-stop about which toys he wants for his birthday (in February). I should know better than to feed the beast.

Anyway, we're off to Target later this week to fill up our Operation Christmas Child boxes, and I've got a couple handmade gift ideas brewing. I'm also teaching an advent calendar class next week (well, maybe) and a Christmas Cards class later in the month at Ben Franklin. Should be fun.

1 comment:

Mrs. H said...

First the 80's music then this! In honor of you I'm going to put on christmas music today! I love it! Of course I think there should be a law that EVERYBODY must put up Christmas lights! Oh and my cell phone ring is dean martin's "baby it's cold outside" hehe.