Thursday, March 02, 2006

ORGANIZATION MONTH!!!! at my house

I signed up for the HGTV Get Organized challenge and I am *so there*!!! Every chance I get to get rid of some of the disarray in my life makes me so happy. Because there's so much disarray and because I love looking at a surface with nothing on it.

So I just recycled two inches of paper from my filing cabinet this afternoon, and identified my problem areas and am thinking about how to solve them. I have an envelope for receipts, a goal to go through my inbox before it threatens to topple over every month-and-a-half (thus paying some bills late), and a plan to get one of those message center things with the little trough thingie and hooks for our keys. Which brings me to an important realization...I've never liked those from a decorative standpoint, but I'm realizing I like it better than having Dan's wallet, cell phone, keys and iPod on the counter! (I love you honey!!) Seriously, though, I don't live in a decorating magazine. I have 4 kids and we stay home all day and we homeschool and we have 1100 sq. ft. to do it in. We need something that works, that works for us, and that isn't chaotic.

In short, I'm finding that organization, even at its ugliest, is prettier than clutter.

4 comments:

Mimi said...

Yes, I agree. I have one word for you "baskets". Love them!

Adrienne said...

I uses BASKETs and TONS Of them!!!!!

Anonymous said...

I was thinking about signing up too!

Cat said...

Hello... don't like what it looks like? Say it with me... "Alter It".

Fred Meyer has some really cute black wooden ones that can hang or sit on the counter. And I'm sure Target has something you can work with... Costco even had something like that with a whiteboard on one side... or was it a chalkboard? I forget.

Anyway - I'd be glad to help...