Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Boy noise and sacrifices

I'm sure God knew what he was doing when he gave me Elijah 5 years ago tomorrow, but I don't know that I fully understand it. Ever since we left my mom's house yesterday, my life has been a cacophony of light saber swooshes and Transformer gun noises and everything that goes along with them. I think the part of my mind that processes such noises is broken. It makes me think that I could easily take a vow of silence and move into a monastery, if I were only a man. Though I guess I couldn't do that and be a parent at the same time....so here I am.

In other news...

Tomorrow is Ash Wednesday. My church tends to be pretty non-liturgical, but lately I've been thinking about the concept of holidays as holy days. While I understand the desire not to suck the life out of our worship by ritualizing it, I do think that traditions play a role in facilitating worship. And I find that cutting out the time of preparation for holidays means that I'm not prepared for them spiritually when they come. And they end up being just another day. We've never done much to celebrate Easter, and I think that we need to. After all, what is more worthy of celebration than our salvation? So my hope is to institute some of the traditional Christian liturgical practices back into my worship. Like celebrating Lent....

Yes. I'm giving up coffee for 40 days. :0 Starting tomorrow. Not today.

3 comments:

Mimi said...

Being in a very liturgical church, I believe very strongly in keeping the fasts and the feasts, as you say, it's important to our cycle of life and worship. May you have a blessed and fruitful Lent.

And, you can move to a monestary after your kids are grown - they have them for women too.

Unknown said...

Happy Birthday, Elijah!! Boys sure are fun, aren't they? lol! Good luck on the coffee thing, you brave girl!!

Mrs. H said...

NO coffee? is that why you haven't blogged lately? Are in a coffee withdrawl headache swirl?

keep it up, I'm giving it up too!