Thursday, December 08, 2005

Homeschooling update

Since this blog was initially about homeschooling I thought I'd give a little update.
  1. I'm realizing we've done way more than I've given myself credit for. Shiloh is on letter P, Mariah (who's 2) counts to 13, and Elijah does puzzles like a champ and draws dinosaurs!
  2. We've learned about a bazillion random things that really aren't random at all. The Fatherhood of God, properties of light, clouds, flowers, counting, making 10, poetry, comparisons, trees, day/night, seasons (to name a few).
  3. I've learned a system that works for keeping a 2- and 3-year-old productively occupied while teachind Kindergarten.
  4. We take a lot of days off. As in, we've probably only done 2-3 days a week tops for the last couple months. BUT, when I reviewed my monthly calendar last night, I realized I'd given myself 3 weeks off in December that we won't need. So if we do 4 days of school between now and next Friday, we'll be caught up!!!!
  5. I need a math curriculum. Shiloh's ahead of the preschool level in our curriculum, but not to the kindergarten level. She has a hard time counting to 20. And the curriculum doesn't give me much for how to teach math. I think she's just not math-inclined. And I am, math has always just made sense to me. So I've got my eye on something with a little more detailed instruction.
I don't love homeschooling the way I thought I would. I know it's the right thing for our family, and I think I'll enjoy it more when the kids are older. My ideal for homeschooling is everyone busy doing something interesting and meaningful, having conversations about what we're all learning about, in-depth Bible study, library trips, volunteering together and talking about it afterwards, sitting around the table working on math problems or some kind of necessary homework together, singing, learning hymns...a lifestyle of learning that has structured times of instruction but isn't about that. A life of strong family relationships, learning in context, and Christ at the center directing, teaching, guiding. I think we're building to that, and that makes it worthwhile.

3 comments:

Mimi said...

See, I think that homeschooling (which isn't my calling, I assure you) would be easier when they are little rather than when they are coming up with huge complex questions for me to wrap my brain around.

Hugs, I'm glad it is going well, you are an awesome mom and a good teacher.

AtomicArt1 said...

That could be true, Mimi. I could very well be looking back 10 years from now, wishing for simpler days...

Mimi said...

Well, that's why you scrapbook so you can ;)