Friday, September 09, 2005

Random thoughts about the first week of school

  1. We finished our first week, and I think we've accomplished a lot. Homeschooling will be a lot of work, but I know it's what God wants for us, so I'm positive He will bless our efforts. There's more to teaching than I initially realized, and I say this as a former preschool teacher and as one who has done a ton of reading on education. I'm positive we'll do our share of stumbling our way through it, but isn't that how life goes?
  2. We went to a park day with our homeschool fellowship today. My friend Becky did a great job of putting it together and planning a fun activity for the kids. They built boats out of milk jugs--the younger kids made them from single serving pop bottles, and the older kids took about 30-40 milk jugs, duct taped them together and made a 4' x 6' raft. A couple of the kids even rode it! I'm hosting the park day in March, and will definitely have to do some thinking to figure out a fun project--kites, maybe?
  3. We had a Mariah scare. Our 2-year-old is quiet and loves to wander, not a good combination. I had realized that I hadn't seen her for a while and went to look for her when one of the girls informed me that Elijah had gone out on the dock. So we had to call him back in, and by the time he came back I was convinced that Mariah was not nearby. I let the moms know and we all looked for her, even some of the older kids helped. She was in the bathroom. I am so glad the Lord has our days numbered. Even knowing that it is still terrifying to lose your child, even for 2 minutes.
  4. I'm not going to be able to get much done during school time. Last year we worked out of a workbook a couple days a week, and I could sweep the floor, get the mail, pay bills, etc. With our curriculum I'm much more needed. At least for now.
  5. Dan's birthday party is tomorrow. There's still a lot to do to get ready. If the weather holds out, we're having a Star Wars party, with costumes, and watching the original Star Wars movie on the side of our house! Should be fun.

Have a great weekend!

No comments: