Saturday, September 03, 2005

Doing nothing

Dan and I watched Hotel Rwanda last night. I don't really know what to say about it except that it was so disturbing to see how so many people knew what was happening and did nothing. How I did nothing. How I live most of my life unaware of the horrible realities the rest of the world lives with every day. Very few people live as comfortably as I do, and I'm not rich by American standards. And it's not even about money, not entirely anyway. It's about paying attention, and refusing to tolerate the kind of human rights abuses that happened in the Sudan 10 years ago, or our fellow Americans literally dying in the streets because of someone's poor planning. And most important, it's about sharing the love of Christ, giving hope to those who have none and the opportunity to spend eternity in a place without the suffering that is inevitable in this world.

Gospel for Asia is one group that is doing something. Their Bridge of Hope program sponsors children who are victims of India's caste system and pays for their education and a meal a day, and in some cases buys them out of slavery (for $14!). These kids learn that they aren't "untouchable", that they're made in the image of God and beloved by Him. Dan and I have come to the conclusion that this is worth far more than $30/mo. could buy our family, and our kids get to grow up praying for a child (and a native missionary) they don't know in another part of the world, knowing that not everyone lives like we do and that we can do something to help.

Another thing, maybe even more important, that I can do is live a life of gratitude. Giving is important, but so is acting in a way that shows that I am grateful for God's blessing in my life. His salvation most of all, His gift of my family, and yes, his provision of material comfort.

No comments: