Sunday, September 18, 2005

Imposing structure

Wow. I haven't updated in a while. I think I've had enough going on mentally and emotionally that I didn't quite have a handle on that I wasn't ready to reflect. I was still stewing, I guess.

So here's something meaningful. I spent the weekend with some old roommates. One has 5 kids, all 5 and under. 2 are foster, and they are in the process of adopting. She runs a tight ship! They eat at the same time every day, and get plugged into different activities as soon as they're done eating. They don't get to just run around and cause trouble. They're happy and well-adjusted and love their parents and each other. I've always been kind of in the middle when it comes to structure, I think. We're on a very flexible schedule. I like it that way. But lately the kids are crazy. Elijah knows when I'm not giving him my full attention, and takes advantage of those times. Anyway, talking to my friend made me think that I need to be more proactive about keeping them out of trouble. Paying closer attention, making sure they're doing something productive and not just causing trouble. Having a set time each day where they're playing alone.

We made a list of all of Shiloh's responsibilities and turned it into a star chart. The goal is that she'll be able to do everything on the list without being told. Getting dressed, brushing her hair, making her bed, putting her breakfast dishes away, picking up her room, stuff like that. She loves it.

Speaking of structure, I don't get everything done I need to do in the morning unless I get a good night's sleep, which means going to bed at a decent time. So, of to bed I go....

2 comments:

caroline said...

WHOA. 5 kids all 5 and under?! wow.

Mimi said...

I'm still having heart palpitations about the very idea!