Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Parenting = an act of faith

It's been a long time in coming, but I think I'm finally starting to see the role of faith in my parenting:

*I can't save my kids--only God can.
*That means that their becoming the people He wants them to be isn't dependent on my best efforts, but on His work in their life.
*That means that the pressure is off of me to be the perfect mom, and I can love them, teach them, play with them, and RELAX.

Like I said, it's been a long time in coming. And the constant self-doubt and second-guessing is *exhausting*. And a joy-stealer. I am hoping that this realization is a turning point for me in my parenting. And yet, it will not make me a perfect parent. Because that isn't what my kids need. They need to need the Lord.

Deep thoughts for a Wednesday morning, eh? I'll end with a picture. It' s not a perfect picture, but this is the Esther I love:

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Such a true statement! What a cutie you have there!

Mimi said...

St. Seraphim of Sarov said "Acquire a peaceful spirit, and around you thousands will be saved." which I think applies to both your post and the way I've been kicking around having to approach my own parenting.

What a cutie!

Anonymous said...

thanks, rosy! great post!

Cat said...

Deep thoughts indeed...


and I will enable you by loaning the DVD set for Season 1... tee hee!

Kathy Bishop (aka scrappinkat) said...

What a little cutie pie!!!


Thank you for the reminder for us parents.