Thursday, January 05, 2006

A fresh start

...is my favorite part of New Year's! That last week of the year, after all the Christmas stuff is done, lends itself so well to reflection, looking backward and looking forward. Dan is off work and we usually take a small trip (the last two years it's been to the Oregon Coast). I love it. Without the distractions of home, I'm able to get a quiet hour to think through what I want my next year to look like, what I've accomplished by God's grace over the past year, the events of the past year and how they've changed me, etc. Then Jan. 1st hits and I get to put it all into action.

So far this year...
  1. I'm committed to following God more closely, personally and as a wife and mom. It's been hard to make my time with Him and in His Word a priority as my life has become so full, but I need to. My relationship with God the most important part of my life, and it effects how I raise the kids...I have this great book that puts their behavior and attitudes in Biblical terms and shows what Scripture says about how to encourage/correct them.
  2. I'm committed to losing my extra weight. Part of me wants to make it my goal to lose it all this year, but the goal I set was 35 lbs. I think this is reasonable, and of course if I'm able to do it quickly I can keep going! I restarted the South Beach Diet (well, a modified version of it!) on Monday, and so far, so good!
  3. I'm committed to taking care of myself. We have dental insurance for me now, and I'm getting my teeth taken care of. 1 more root canal, and at least 3-4 crowns. It's really hard for me to spend our family's money on my teeth, which is an issue I'm working through as well--that my needs are as important as everyone else's. I'm committed to exercise as well, though that's been off to a rocky start! :P
  4. I'm committed to homeschooling. We've eliminated our morning movie time, and I'm making sure we do school at least 3x/wk. That gives me a day for errands and chores if I need it.
  5. I'm committed to growing as a scrapbook designer. I have some great opportunities as a teacher and Design Team member, and I believe my work is getting consistently better.
  6. I'm committed to new dish towels, lighting candles, using the good plates, lip gloss and date nights--those little indulgences that are so necessary for the enjoyment of life!
May your 2006 be full of God's grace as you seek to grow in character and accomplishments!

4 comments:

Mimi said...

Congratulations! Great committments.

Anonymous said...

Amen!!! :)

Delaina said...

Praying that God continues to guide you through your New Year.

I know how it is with putting your health on the back burner. I'm like that too. I haven't been to the dentist in years. Going is one of my top priorities this year. I just hope there's no major damage done. The last time I went, I had no cavities but that was about 9 years ago. With the pregnancy and birth of 3 little ones, I can only imagine how weak they've become.

I'm Delaina by the way. I've popped in here a few times to see what you're up to. I think I found you via a homeschool post on TwoPeas. I hope homeschool is working out well for you and yours and I pray that you will continue to have God's grace and guidance.

Blessings!

~*~Delaina~*~

Anonymous said...

i'm echoing hanni -- amen!