Monday, October 30, 2006

Pumpkin pie...mmmmm....


Every year we go to the pumpkin patch.

And every year we make pie. Yeah, it's a lot of trouble (and goo) to get something we could buy for $5 in the frozen food section at Top Foods. But one of my quirks is that I need them to know that pumpkin pie doesn't come from the store, that zebras don't live in the zoo, that Christmas trees don't come from the parking lot, and that wood doesn't come from Home Depot. Of course I could just wait until they're older and tell them. But it's so much more fun to show them. :)

Anyway, the lady at the pumpkin patch told us that the white "pumpkin" (I think they call it a Ghost Pumpkin) makes great pie "because of the dark orange flesh". I cut it open....and the flesh
was as white as the pumpkin. Hmmm....I'm sure with enough cinnamon and nutmeg and sugar it'll taste fine, regardless of the color.

So I think with the pumpkin pie making and the leaves changing and the sub-freezing temperatures (well, 29 degrees, anyway) and our church's Harvest Carnival, I'm declaring this Harvest Week at our house. Which means a few fall-themed projects and maybe we'll even get bundled up and go for a walk one of these afternoons.

Have a great day!

3 comments:

Mimi said...

Bwahahahahahahaa. That's so cute! And so funny - dh was making pumpkin pie yesterday and my cousin said 'you use real pumpkins for pie' to which we answered, 'no, just the fake ones'

Mrs. H said...

hehe. I have a white pumpkin too. Let me know how it tastes, I'm too scared to try it. Glad your back blogging again!!

Anonymous said...

I've been making our annual pumpkin pie with white pumpkin for years. Every year, a pumpkin with white skin and orange flesh inside. But this year, I have bought a pumpkin with white flesh.
If it is the new variety that I think it is (called Cotton Candy) then it is meant for carving, not for eating. Whether it tastes good or not, the white flesh is going to make for a pretty sickly looking pie.
I don't want to go through the pain of cooking pumpkin and making a bad pie.
How did your's turn out?